Federal workers: Traumatic injury at work?

Federal workers: Traumatic injury at work?

As a federal worker, your workplace may present different dangers to your health. Depending on the work that you do, the list of injuries that you are most at risk for varies. Regardless of the injury that you’ve suffered, it is important for you to know that you may be eligible for federal workers compensation.

However, there is a set of steps that you must take in order to be compensated. If you have suffered a traumatic injury as a federal worker on the job, continue reading to learn about what you need to do.

Report the injury to your supervisor

First things first, let’s identify what a traumatic injury is. A traumatic injury is any injury that occurred at your place of work and during one shift. It must be caused by a particular event or incident; this means that the injury could not have been produced over several shifts – that would be a different kind of injury.

So, you need to answer to what happened, where, when, why and how it happened. You need proof to support your answers, and that’s why, the very first thing you need to do is report what happened to your supervisor as soon as you get injured.

Obtain medical care

Traumatic injuries can range in severity, however, it should get treated immediately, regardless of how serious it is. For this, you’ll have to request a CA-16 form, which authorizes you to receive treatment for your injuries.

File the correct forms

Then you need to file a CA-1, a form reserved for traumatic injuries only. Be sure to check box A, which requests a COP (Continuation of Pay). From there, your supervisor should give you a receipt of notice, certifying that you filed a form. If you aren’t able to return to work because of the injuries you sustained, you have the option to claim a COP, a leave, or compensation for the wages you’ve lost.

If your mental health has been affected by the incident in question, then you may also add this to your form. Whether it is in the form of anxiety or depression, don’t hold that information back! You may be compensated for this and receive psychological treatment, too.

Be aware that federal workers compensation is available to all federal workers regardless of years of service, type of work, or position. Therefore, you shouldn’t waste any more time to get the compensation you are entitled to!